Win-win partnerships between Bosch and Startups
Open Bosch is the Bosch group's Venture Client unit. We enable the testing of leading startups' solutions and set up partnerships with them. Good clients make startups successful. Successful startups can drive major innovation with Bosch. Let’s make an impact together.
What's in it for startups?
We purchase your solution for a POC - You retain your IP! Even if you're not ready for market launch. No strings attached.
Integrate your solution in a Bosch use case, collect data and improve quickly.
Gain new technical- and market knowledge from experts at Bosch.
Save time, money and effort: We ensure a fast POC purchasing and funding process to speed up your time-to-market.
As your point of contact to Bosch, we connect you with the key decision makers to grow your business.
Aspire to shape the future? Scale within the Bosch Group.
What's in it for Bosch?
Become a partner of innovative startups and an early client of their breakthrough technologies.
If you are truly committed to the partnership, we will cover the costs of purchasing and testing your partner’s solution in your use case.
Acceleration of startup collaboration through a standardized proof of concept (POC) process. From initial contact to start of POC within 3 weeks (incl. purchasing)
Benefit from 11 years of RBVC experience: Get to know the landscape of top- and emerging startups as well as how to assess their potential.
We consult you and your partner on any issue that may arise when setting up a POC, as well as in making use of the outcomes for a future partnership.
The Open Bosch team provides you with transparent process documentation, NDAs and support with contractual issues.
What is Open Bosch?
Open Bosch is the Venture Client unit of the Bosch group – a leading global supplier of technology and services. Open Bosch is part of Robert Bosch Venture Capital GmbH, a 100 percent subsidiary of the Bosch group. We enable collaborations between outstanding, innovative startups and Bosch business units.
In a standardized process, Open Bosch supports startups with integrating and validating their product, service or technology in a Bosch use case. We also support Bosch teams in purchasing the startup's solution to test both product and team fit, which orchestrates a follow-up decision process. After a successful proof of concept (POC) this can result in various forms of partnerships, including but not limited to Supplier-Buyer relationships, JDA, M&A or an investment by Robert Bosch Venture Capital.
Open Bosch is an independent third party that keeps information disclosed confidential. Startups retain their IP, gain Bosch as a client and validate their solution in a real setting, while their partners at Bosch become early adopters of high-potential technology.
What is a Venture Client?
Open Bosch is the Venture Client unit of the Bosch group. This means Open Bosch becomes a startup’s client when the solution is not yet mature. We buy a first unit of a startup’s product, service, or technology. As a Venture Client we do not invest, i.e. we do not ask for shares or equity.
Through this relationship, startups get a supplier status, supplier number, purchase order, and revenue. Again, we do not invest, so please only contact us with regard to partnerships.
Do you invest in startups?
Do startups receive payment or funding?
Open Bosch becomes an early client, not your shareholder. Once you joined, you get a supplier number and a purchase order.
You will receive payment for the pilot. How much we pay depends on how much you ask and on the complexity of the pilot project.
All costs related to the integration and validation of your solution are paid. Including materials, travel, working hours, etc. You can propose a budget based on our requirements. Having gained Open Bosch as a client should make it easier for you to raise venture capital and increase your valuation.
Independent of Open Bosch, Robert Bosch Venture Capital may offer to invest in your startup.
What does the process and timing look like?
- First contact - To start the process with Open Bosch, which means becoming a supplier of the Bosch group, just send us information about your company. We are looking for companies that can help us solve critical challenges at any business division of Bosch. Make sure to send us your pitchdeck so we have your startup in our dealflow. This way we can find you once the opportunity arises, or connect you directly with a Bosch business unit that has been searching for the solution you offer.
- Initialization - In the beginning, our focus is on clarifying the current need of a Bosch business unit. We want to understand the underlying problem and motivation for a partnership. Subsequently, your Open Bosch manager assesses the potential benefits for everyone involved as well as partnership readiness.
- Screen & Connect - From a Bosch point of view, we screen the market and our dealflow in this stage, then create a longlist of potential partners and narrow it down to a shortlist together with the Bosch business unit. When you are on our shortlist, we invite you for a demo meeting to discuss your solution in depth. You retain your IP by signing an NDA with us and your potential client at Bosch. Next, we send you a request for proposal. Here we specify a pilot project / proof of concept in which we want to apply and validate your solution. A project could be to integrate a prototype of your technology into a new Bosch product or service, into Bosch’s IT environment, or to run a pilot for a new manufacturing solution. We will ask you to review and fine-tune your proposal. At agreement, we can start the project. Prior to kick-off of the Proof of Concept (POC), you receive an official Bosch supplier number and a signed purchase order. Congratulations – you just gained Open Bosch as your client.
- Proof of Concept - You and the Bosch business unit will stay in close contact during the POC to apply and validate your solution. In this phase, your Open Bosch manager will supervise the project and provide support for any non-technical challenges that may arise.
- Partnership - You and your client at Bosch agree that the POC was a success? Great! Now you can negotiate the exact structure of your partnership with Bosch. This can result in various forms of partnerships, including but not limited to Supplier-Buyer relationships, JDA, M&A or an investment by Robert Bosch Venture Capital. As your Venture Client unit, Open Bosch will conduct regular follow-up meetings to make sure that your partnership has maximum business impact.
- Timing - The whole process can be as short as four weeks.
- Deadline - There is no deadline. We are always interested to learn about exciting solutions from startups.
Is Open Bosch an accelerator?
No, we are a Venture Client for startups who have a proven track record and significant funding.
Which startups is Open Bosch looking for?
- Relevance - We are looking for innovative solutions (products, services or technology) that solve critical challenges at any Bosch business division. Generally, we seek for partnerships with startups in all fields following the investment strategy of RBVC.
- New contact - Your startup should not have already performed a POC with a Bosch unit within the same business sector.
- Product maturity - Your startup has a proven track record with a functional prototype or working product. Prototypes must be mature enough to be tested in a Bosch division.
- Funding status - Your startup has graduated from an equity accelerator or has funding from a professional venture capitalist.
- Full-time team - Main positions (CEO, CTO, CMO, etc.) of your startup are held by full-time employees.
- Legal entity - Your startup must be a legal entity.
What happens during a pilot project?
- Sell - Your main task is to adapt your solution to our use case for validation. We mutually agree on this before the start of the project. Open Bosch reimburses you for your efforts and expenses.
- Gain insights - You get deep insights into Bosch - a global, industrial leader. We teach you the industry dynamics and how development, manufacturing, and purchasing work.
- Land and Expand - Together we create a compelling roadmap to make sure your solution can be applied and scaled throughout the Bosch Group. You are linked to key people who help you grow your business within various Bosch business units.
What happens after the Open Bosch program?
After the successful validation of your solution, Bosch aims to become a long-term client of your startup.
Usually, your solution has to be further developed after the pilot project before it can be applied. You will negotiate further development and supplier agreements directly with your client business unit and our purchasing department. These negotiations will ideally start during the pilot project.
If applicable, we will connect you with our established suppliers for industrialization.